Sunday, November 18, 2007

Cranksgiving

Yesterday morning I headed down to Des Moines to ride in this years Cranksgiving. I had heard only good things about the race and wanted to make it down last year when I first heard of it. However this is the first Thanksgiving break (ok so I guess I'm on a long break) but anyway, I'm usually on my way out to Fruita / Moab this time of year, not hanging around Iowa. So I got down to Mars cafe at 11 and got checked in and got my bag of goodies filled with some sweet stuff like stickers (I seem to have a fetish for stickers), t-shirt, some random $1 movie about a gorilla?? and all around a sweet race bag considering the entry fee is all of $0.00!!


I got my list O food items and a small map....sure did help since I was completely lost in that part of town!!! I ran into Moritz and Mario from the ISU Cycling club, however I lost them in the start. After the parking lot Lemond-ish start I tried to follow someone who looked as if they knew how to get around. I was once again riding my DJ bike with a real mans gearing (32X16)...who needs to power a big gear when you can spin at 300 rpm?? Anyway, I followed a handful of people through the Drake campus to some C-store to pick up my first item....good call following those guys....very short line!! I tried to focus on getting small items since...hey they are lighter and my bag isn't that big. A few stops later I was in a big line at a quick mart and heard that Squirrel had a flat....the tables have turned from the 24 my friend...HA. (I still think he beat me by about 20 min). The rest of the race was a blur of standing in line, trying not to get lost and about passing out riding up the hill on MLK to the finish with a full bag (12 pk of soda included, so full I couldn't close it), I also had a big can of coffee stuffed in one sweater pocket, and rice and pasta in the other pocket. However my shampoo burst and splooged all over the inside of my bag!! I have no idea where I finished, but who cares. I heard about 1200 lbs of food was gathered in total. After it was all said and done Moritz, Mario, and myself split some good ole PBR and had a good time watching the trackstand comp and even that random womans Indian leg wrestling comp that seemed to spring out of nowhere. Good times....get out and ride!!

Lots o' bikes



No comments: