Sunday, April 1, 2007

Caught in the Crosswind

This morning I suited up for the elements and headed out for a long ride. It was in the low 40's with a 23 mph wind out of the West. I headed west and south until I hit Big Creek State Park. I would go hard straight into the wind for a mile and then turn and go across the wind for a mile, it was a pretty good interval workout. When going into the wind it was pretty strong, so strong at times that I couldn’t even hear my iPod on full blast. When going across the wind, I got a little drool oozing out of my mouth on the downwind side. The other side was sucking in air. Nothing like a cold drool smear across the face to pick up the ladies. Once I got to Big Creek I got on the bike path that heads down into Des Moines. I rode that for 25 miles or so and headed back in the direction of Ames and a warm shower. All told, I was out for 5.5 hours. I don't know the exact mileage because my computer died before I even got the end of the block. And of course, the sun came out about 4 miles before I got back home and now the weather is beautiful. When riding though, it was raining, windy, and quite miserable. Ah, well. You can’t always race in perfect weather, so why only train in it??? Now it's time to get some food in the belly...Peace


Where exactly does this bike path go??

A little bike path action. My gimpy thumb is still healing, I can's
shift with it so I have to reach over with my right
hand to pop up to the big ring.

Yup, 4 miles from home...here comes the sun...

No comments: